1. So, as you may or may not know, Drew has been in Africa for the past two weeks serving the people of Zimbabwe. I didn't mention it on here because, for safety reasons, I don't like advertising the fact that I've been staying home alone. But, today he comes home!! Can NOT wait to spend some time with my man and here all about his trip!
2. I did this
detox. I lasted all of one day and then ordered a medium Papa John's pizza the next night. I may or may not have eaten most of it.
3. Last weekend, I had a fun girls' weekend with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. We tackled Indy and Cincy in the same weekend. It was legit.4. I've had this little face looking at me nightly. He has my heart.
5. I accidentally went to Insanity. Like literally. I thought I was going to a step aerobics class (yes, I am 80 years old). Upon walking in and realizing there were no step blocks anywhere in sight and being welcomed in excitedly by the instructor, I knew there was no turning back. Turns out, it was actually a really good workout and I came back again the following
week for more!
That's it! I hope you have a great weekend and stay warm! If you're in Arizona, then I prefer to just ignore you and your
weather completely. And no, I'm not bitter.
Can't believe Drewbs and I have been married for 3 years today! From AZ to IN, it has been such a fun and beautiful adventure! I am so grateful to get to spend my life with him by my side. He makes me laugh and challenges me every day. I couldn't ask for a better man. Can't wait to celebrate with a weekend getaway to Cincinnati! I love you, Babe!
You may think I'm a TV-aholic after reading this list. However, these are shows that I have watched over the last year and a half or so. And remember...SNOW DAYS, People, SNOW DAYS! Okay, and I also really like a good TV series. :-)
1. Desperate Housewives- All 9 seasons of pure joy are on netflix. I think I walked around in a daze desperately (ha, get it?) searching for Wysteria Lane when I finally finished this series.
2. Parenthood- 4 seasons are on Netflix and it is currently in it's 5th. Such a well-written and deep show. Even the hub will watch this one with me.
3. Revenge- 2 seasons on Netflix and currently in it's 3rd. So much intensity and greatness I can't even tell you. Crazy, rich people in the Hamptons make for a great drama, apparently.
4. The Carrie Diaries- The first season is on Netflix and the show just finished its second season. It is just a cute, easy show to watch. I'm as much a SATC fan as the next girl, but this show is probably geared toward a younger audience so it's a little less risqué.
5. New Girl- For real, so hilarious. Hub and I watch this one together, too and die laughing. 2 seasons on Netflix and it's currently in the 3rd.
6. Hart of Dixie- I just started this one, but I am hooked. Rachel Bilson plays a New York doctor who is forced to practice medicine in Alabama. Think Doc Hollywood meets 2014 and you're good to go.
Okay, so that list wasn't tooo long, right? Hopefully, if you are in the market for a new show, I can be of assistance!
With Valentine's Day right around the corner and snow days abounding in these parts, nothing seemed more fitting then to attempt a little project. This one was so fun and easy! I think I spent around $5 on supplies and made about 8 hair clips.
Here's what you need:
Sequin Trim or Ribbon
Cut hearts out of the felt in any size that you wish. You can freehand them or make a template out of paper first. Take your sequin trim, starting at the bottom of the heart and line the edges first, continuing on until you reach the center of the heart. I put the glue directly onto the heart, just a little at a time because it dries quickly. Then I glued a hair clip directly to the back of the heart. And Voila! I am excited to wear mine on Valentine's Day and mail some to some loved ones as well!
*Note: With the sequin trim I bought, I ended up splitting it apart so the trim was just one row of sequins. You can also buy actual trim that is only one row.
Well, we had an early release today for winter weather! I am not complainin' that's for sure! Right now, this blog post comes to you fireside! I am linking up with Lip Gloss & Lunges
and Beauty & the Greek
for this one!
1. Anne Marie Borlind Night Creme
I was out of moisturizer and decided to try this one out as the amazing Kandee J
recommends it. I use mine in this morning as well as the night and I am for sure loving it. My skin is especially dry in the winter and this is definitely helping! I found it on Amazon for $22.
2. Scarlet Chai Tea This is nothing new for me and certainly not only a February thing. I love chai. And I love scarlet (the scarlet part is cranberry juice). Amazing. If you're in the area, head over to Cool Beans and order this delicious drink.
3. Following Pottery Barn on Instagram I copied this one from Beauty & the Greek. But seriously, their posts are amazing. Even if you don't shop there because of the $$$$$$$$$$$$, they will freely give you awesome inspiration!
4. My monogrammed clutch My wonderful sister-in-law got me one of these for Christmas and I am obsessed! (the one pictured above is not mine, but looks very similar) I get compliments on it everywhere I go. You can find them on Etsy.
5. The Carrie Diaries Again, a show recommended to me by my S.I.L. It's super cute and much less risque than Sex and the City. Annasophia Robb is perfection and has adorable style. The first season is on Netflix and the second one is on Hulu.
6. Chalkboard Art Makes me happy. Plain and simple. This is currently in our kitchen.
I hope everybody had a great week! I know I'm not the only one who is over these freezing temps, but there are a few positive things because of them....i.e. fires, hitting the slopes, cute boots and scarfs... Anyway, here's my 5 for the week...
1. My husband has a new obsession with funky socks. Luckily, I found this website called WeSell. For just $12 a month, you get a funky pair delivered to your doorstep while also providing socks for youth in homeless shelters. This is the perfect Valentine's Day present! Oh yeah, and don't mention anything to Drew, please. :)
2. New favorite breakfast. Easy and healthy. Greek yogurt, strawberries, and granola.
3. This book. Just some deep stuff goin on. Read it. They're making a movie of it this year as well.
4. So, this happened on Wednesday night. If you've never been to a Thrift Shop Prom, I highly recommend it. We were excited to have over 200 students in attendance!
5. So speaking of the slopes, we are heading to Paoli Peaks tomorrow afternoon! I haven't been skiing in forever so I am excited to freshen up my "skills."
Last Spring, I found this pea coat and knew I had to have it.
I think the back explains the why the best. I went crazy for that bow.
I found mine on ebay. I couldn't find my exact one, but there are some adorable similar ones here
Although this post originally was going to be about Ellie, I simply realized, you can't really separate the two. How can you talk about Ellie without talking about Hank? How could you talk about Hank without talking about Ellie? So, to E and H it is...
A little over 4 years ago, I met Drew's grandparents for the first time. I was welcomed into their little home just outside Cincinnati and I fell in love. I suppose it could have been their endearing furniture they had had for ages, or the what seemed like hundreds of photographs of their grandchildren scattered all around their home, or maybe even their beautiful backyard that struck me with these feelings of nostalgia that any home filled with so many memories is bound to do. But it was more than that.
It was the way Hank still held Ellie's hand after so many years. It was the way Ellie saved every card Hank had ever given to her. It was the way all who knew them said they were the best people they had ever known.
Three years ago, I had the privilege of watching them dance at my wedding. With love in their eyes, Drew and I honored their 62 years of marriage during our reception.
Three months later, Hank passed away somewhat suddenly. Family and friends gathered around to honor this man of faith. I was touched to see the astounding legacy Hank had left on all those around him.
After Hank's passing, Ellie would begin deteriorating. She would begin losing weight and growing frailer. Soon, she would develop pulmonary fibrosis and require an oxygen tank full time. She just never was the same without him by her side. Like I said before, you just couldn't really separate the two.
This past week, she broke her hip. Because of the risks of the surgery, doctors were unable to operate on her. Once again, she was surrounded by all those who loved her.
She peacefully passed at 3:35 AM Sunday morning. She left a world where she had a body that was failing her. She left behind her oxygen tank and her broken hip. She left behind her broken heart aching after losing her great love.
She was welcomed into Jesus' arms to Paradise where I know she can feel no pain. And I just can't help but think that once again she is able to dance with the love of her life.
Thank you for your beautiful legacy, Grandma Ellie. Until we see you again...
1. Thank God every single morning you wake up alive.
Each day is such a gift! I try to do this first thing in the morning before I get out of bed. It makes me so much more motivated to start my day!2. Start volunteering or serving in some capacity if you're not already. When you give back to others, it gives your own life more purpose and meaning. If you're not sure where, I know of some jr. high and high school students you could hang out with once a week. ;-)
3. Give yourself enough time to get ready in the morning. This one is written directly at me. I think this has been my resolution every single year and I'm still failing beautifully at it. 2014 is the year.
4. Take a daily walk. I'm definitely not the type of person to hit the gym daily- I'm lucky if I get there 3 times a week. So, on your off days, why not take a quick jolt around the block and just relax. This is a great way to make sure your canine friends gets some exercise, too.
5. Be screen free for an hour a day. Stay off the computer, phones, tv, and just connect with those around you for one hour! I lost my phone while in Arizona last week, which was originally devastating. However, I was surprised by how little I actually missed it. I guess hanging out with people is better than a screen!
6. Ditch the soda. I'm not a dieter...by any means. Yet, this one I think I can do. It's such a small thing to cut out in the grand scheme of things, but makes the world of difference.
7. Stop procrastinating. Make those doctor appointments. Call your dentist. Return the call from your insurance agent. Quit putting it off. I HATE doing stuff like this. However, I finally got caught up yesterday and the weight of the world has been lifted!
8. Pray more. Maybe you already pray 5 mins a day, so this year, make it 10. If you don't pray at all, commit to praying for 5 mins. Whatever it is for you, try upping your time and see what happens.
9. Start a savings jar. Commit to doing this plan on top of whatever you normally save. Or just start here, if you don't save yet. It's so easy and by the end of the year, you will have almost $1400!
10. Sign up for a class! They say we should never stop learning. So, sign up for that photography class, cooking class, German class, etc. Whatever it is that interests you, do it!
Hope that gives you some ideas!
As I am reflecting back on the past year, I am thankful to remember how blessed we were in 2013! Here's a look at my year:
I survived my first midwest winter filled with snow, ice, and bitter coldness.
In February, Drew and I celebrated 2 years of marriage with a little getaway night in Louisville!
In March, I flew to beautiful Arizona for my Spring Break. We took in a spring training game, of course.
In April, we headed to Cincinnati for the Buckeye's Spring game.
In May, we were blessed with an amazing opportunity to spend a week in Colorado! Beautiful!
June was another great month as my family came to visit Indiana and then we headed to Florida for a week with Drew's fam.
In July, we headed to Holland, Michigan with our high school students for a week of life change!
August brought us with another opportunity to head back to Phoenix for 4 days!
September took me to my first game at the Horseshoe!
We spent a weekend in Nashville with friends in October. To finish off the month, I dressed up as Minnie Mouse.
November was filled with concerts and my 26th birthday!
In December, Drew turned 27! We spent an evening with Justin Timberlake and we celebrated Christmas with both sides of our families!
Ready to see what God has in store for 2014!